Wednesday 22 September 2010

I found myself last year trying to work in a way similar to that of Zumthors by imagining spaces based upon my precious experiences of spaces and places. Often what I found myself doing was paying particular attention to the way light entered spaces. As the memories and perceptions of previous experiences entered my mind like a torch lighting up a room, only then could I begin to remember the vague details and feelings of that space.



For a chapel I designed for my stage II (Diploma) course I made tectonic references through construction to previous barns which would have dotted a once rural site in NorthEast london, many years ago. However, for a chapel one of the most important aspects was creating the atmosphere within the chapel.

Working from memories of dark solemn places and taking ideas from existing barn precedents I found myself sculpting the interior atmosphere from natural and artificial light, highlighting, revealing, hiding the structure to create a particular atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment